Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Go-To Recipe

Nothing says it's time to get back on the horse than when the freaking thing wins a prize while you're gone. Such is the case with my dear blog! It's become a Staff Recommendation over at 20 Something Bloggers ! They mention me being gluten-free, which I am not. However, my lovely man is pretty intolerant so we do try to steer clear.  In honor of this...honor, I'm going to give you all my favorite go to recipe (which happens to be gluten free)!

Everyone needs a go-to recipe.  It also needs to be easy. If you have a decent spice rack and chicken on hand, this is going to be something you can do once and have memorized.
 
Also, I don't want to try and fool anyone. I try to eat well. I really do. But as I'm typing this post, I'm indulging in a nice bowl of ice cream with hot fudge. And a crushed up chocolate bar on it.
 
ON TO THE HEALTHY RECIPE...
 
Lemon Pepper Chicken
 
What you need:
  • About 3-4 large chicken breasts cut in half
  • EVOO
  • Lemon Pepper
  • Onion Salt
  • Garlic Powder
  • Sea salt grinder
  • Pepper grinder
 
What to do:
  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
  2. Coat your chicken pieces with a liberal amount of Lemon Pepper
  3. Dust all of the pieces with onion salt and garlic powder
  4. Grind (about 1 turn per piece) sea salt over pieces
  5. Grind (about 2 turns per piece) pepper over pieces
  6. Put EVOO in a frying pan and turn your stove top on high
  7. When its almost hot (before it sizzles- or you will burn the crap out of your hand like I did) add your chicken pieces (as much as you can fit in).
  8. Cook each side for about a minute. This is called pan searing and locks in your flavor.
  9. Coat a glass dish in EVOO and dust it with a layer of all seasonings you used.
  10. Place your chicken pieces in the glass dish and dust the top of them with more seasoning IF NEEDED ( use your eyes, you can see how much is on the pieces).
  11. Cook on 400 for about 30 min, check (cut a piece in half) to see if they're done. If not, add another 5 minutes.
  12. Enjoy!



The picture shows this paired with rice (which is white but I honestly prefer wild rice) and green beans.  The recipe for my green beans is here.  Confession: the rice and green beans in this photo are not natural (*cough* from a box/frozen). In that, they were nasty and next time I'll just go to the store and get fresh things :)

No comments:

Post a Comment