Sunday, April 28, 2013

Welcome to the land of oil and honey...

I've finally given up on any facial product sold in stores. I feel like all it does is dry out my skin more than necessary, leading to more of an over production of oil. Sick. No thanks. I've turned to food! Kind of. I have always LOVED honey. It's literally my go to for everything from sweetin' up my toast to curing the common cold (green tea and honey!). Now, I am using it on my face. It sounds like it would be a sticky mess but it really isn't. I keep a container of raw honey in the bathroom. Don't use the one from your kitchen..that's just not clean.
 
Honey Face Wash
 
For best results, use raw honey
 
  • After removing your makeup (with water. Coconut oil on eye makeup works wonders), pour a quarter sized amount of honey in your hand and massage it onto your face.
  • Get a wash rag wet with hot water, wring it out and set it on your face for about 10 seconds and then gently scrub the honey off your face
  • Rinse the cloth and do another once over on your face with it. Nobody likes sticky pillows in the morning.
  • Do this every morning and every night!
But, what will I use for moisturizer?? I have fallen in love with coconut oil. I actually was turned onto the idea by a friend at work.  We work in chlorine all day so we need something that can keep our skins pH balanced and moisturized. She has great skin and I noticed her putting coconut oil on. I asked her if it really works and she said it is AMAZING. So after doing my research I found plenty of evidence that coconut oil is the moisturizer I've been needing. I won't bore you with the all the details on why this works for your skin (you have access to google, if your really that much of a skeptic do the research yourself my friend) but I will tell you that the gist of it all is: good oil fights bad oil. If your skin has enough moisture on it, it will not feel the need to produce excess sebum (oil produced by the glands on your face- fun fact for the day for you!)
 
Coconut Oil Moisturizer
 
Un-refined is best. If you really hate the smell of natural coconut though, go with refined.
Coconut oil can be found at the grocery store with the olive oil.
 
 
  • After you've washed the honey off your face, apply a small amount (a little bit really does go a long way) of coconut oil to your face and neck
  • Do this every morning and every night! (I recommend blotting your face dry from the oil if you're applying makeup or you could end up a drippy mess depending on the consistency of your makeup)
Now once a week I like to do a facial. My favorite one right now is, of course, inclusive of honey :)
 
Honey Face Mask
 
 
  • Mix 1 T of honey with 1 t(teaspoon) of brown sugar, 1/2 t cinnamon and about 5 drops of lemon juice
  • Massage mixture onto a clean damp face
  • Leave on while you brush your teeth
  • Get a wash rag wet with hot water, wring it out and lay it on your face for about 30 sec
  • Gently (since there are abrasives in the mixture) scrub the mask off your face
  • Rinse the wash rag and give your face another once over
  • Follow with coconut oil moisturizer
       *For added moisture, I will sometimes add 3 drops of Vitamin E oil to the mask.
 
In the time that I've been doing this all natural skin care regimen, I've noticed a huge change in my skins evenness as well as an added glow. Now there is no need for me to drop $20-$30 on a skin care routine that leaves my skin lackluster after a month. Let me know how it works for you and as always, tweak the recipe to what is best for your skin!  

5 comments:

  1. Definitely going to do this!! Thanks lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I hope it works out for you too :)

      Delete
  2. Whoa! This sounds amazing. I've been meaning to try some sort of a honey concoction on my face and this is the perfect recipe. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep this on hand especially after you have your baby! This is saving my skin from the post partum breakout I experienced.

      Delete
  3. I sometimes use coconut oil for lip balm but I hadn't really thought of using it for moisturiser. Thanks for the tip.

    P.S. I came over from your old blog - congrats on your baby! Very cute :)

    ReplyDelete