Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tutu for you!


Please tell me why you would spend $20 on 1 tutu for your child? 
Because they're freaking adorable and you can't put a dollar on cute, right? 

WRONG.

Times are tough yo. So sue me if my child rotates the same 3 giant headbands and doesn't have a plethora waiting to perfectly match every outfit I put her in. 

Oh the problems we face as mothers...

For this 4th of July, I wanted NG to look like a firework. However, every tutu I found that was firework-alicious (it's a word.) was $20+. You guys, it's just tulle and elastic. 

So, I decided to make it myself. Now, keep it simple if you have a little one you're making it for (ie: don't attach choking hazards). NG is 6 months so I'm only using tulle. I wanted sparkles but didn't want to deal with them getting in her little eyes. 
I found a silver net looking tulle and paired it with red, white and blue. I bought some elastic, measures it around her waist (while she napped- go momma!) and sewed it together. Note: an elastic headband works too.

Cut the tulle twice the length you want it, fold it in half, put it through the middle of the elastic and loop the two end pieces of tulle through the closed end piece of the tulle. It should look like this:


Keep adding more color between the spaces of your first color.


Sporadically place more color pieces in until you have your desired result. 


Now put it on your little cutie and take way too many pictures!


4 comments:

  1. Love it. I am making Avas for her 1st bday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! I made 10 hot pink tulle tutus for one of my daughters birthday parties. We used it as part of a relay race (at the end they had to put on a tutu, tiara, wand, and something else...mommy brain) and then it was also part of the treat bag the girls could take home. We have left over (plus will buy much more) and are planning to somehow tweak the technique to make a new valence for my daughter's room. Great post. I love the red, white, and blue idea and she looks so gosh darn cute in it.
    themakingsofsupermom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter has the same top! I totally should have done the tutu idea!

    Miya from Miyaloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete